Ladies, June is Men’s Health Month, and more pointedly, June 13 – 19, 2011 is Men’s Health Week. What does that have to do with us? Well, if you have a significant other, a son, a brother, an uncle or father – it has a lot to do with you. We want these very important men to be around for a very long time, don’t we?
So what can we do? Remind them to get their yearly checkups and go with them if necessary. Hey, they try to act like big boys but when it comes to checkups we really know they’re really big wimps! So keep encouraging the men in your life to take care of themselves. The following information was taken from Disabled World website. It highlights what exams are key for men’s health and what checkups are needed at what age.
Important Tests for General Health
Blood pressure check
Cholesterol level test
Colon and rectum exam
Overweight and obesity
Recommended Male Health Checkups by Age:
Checkup for Males 20 and Younger:
- Full dental checkup every 6 months.
- Eye examination every 2 years. Yearly if you currently have eyesight problems.
- Blood pressure should be checked every 2 1⁄2 years (once a year 20 and older).
- Complete physical examination including; quantitative blood check, urine test, cholesterol and stool test.
20 to 50 Years of Age:
- Dental examination every 6 months or as recommended by your dentist.
- Eye checkup every 2 years – Yearly if you currently have eyesight problems.
- Do a regular complete physical examination every 3 years or as recommended by your doctor.
- Blood pressure check every 2 1⁄2 years or once a year if you are at a risk of high blood pressure problems.
- Have a cholesterol check and repeat the test every 3 years or as recommended by your healthcare provider.
- Have a colon and rectal exam once a year after you reach the age of 40, (Those at risk of colon conditions should have an occult blood test yearly or go for sigmoidoscopy every 3 to 5 years. If at risk of prostate cancer you should have the screening every year after 45 years).
Health Check for Males Aged 50 and Older:
- Blood pressure should be checked yearly.
- Dental check every 6 months or as recommended by your dentist.
- Have a cholesterol blood test every 3 to 5 years if it is normal or as recommended by your doctor.
- A checkup of the colon should be performed every 3 to 5 years as well as a check for prostate specific antigen once a year.
- Have a regular physical examination every 1 to 2 years up to the age of 65. If you have diabetes or hypertension or are at risk of either, you should have the regular eye check at least every year.
Best in Health!